It can be challenging to communicate your requirements when booking a cleaning service, especially for the first service with a new company or individual. As Kevin Drum reported in Mother Jones, booking a cleaning can sometimes go terribly wrong.
These five tips will lead to success when professionals clean your home.
- Know what you’re booking & communicate details of your place clearly – Make sure you know if you’ve booked an hourly rate cleaning or a flat rate package. Be up-front about the size and condition of your house. Do you want the whole place clean no matter how long it takes?
- Send a video or a written priority list (especially for an hourly service)- You can do this in 2 minutes or less using Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, or Google Photos + text message. Be sure to include:
- Top two things you want cleaned really well
- Walk through specific areas and describe how you’d like them cleaned
- List any areas that don’t require cleaning
- Note any areas to be cleaned if there is time (optional for hourly service)
- Simplify their arrival & entry. Provide information on where to park and clear entry instructions. I offer suggestions for free parking spots, which is greatly appreciated. Share your insider knowledge about your neighborhood and guide them to the closest cost-effective spot.
- Make them feel welcome and safe. Cleaners are people who are caring for your home, so treat them kindly. Use their name when speaking with them, consider their safety and ask about any pet allergies, and use (or learn) some of their preferred language if different from your own. If the cleaners you have hired feel comfortable in your home, they’re more likely to do their best and communicate to ensure the job is done to your satisfaction.
- Tip and book a recurring service with them if you are happy with their work. You provide essential income for the cleaning services you hire, especially when you book an independent or small business. Tips are usually left in cash in a clearly marked envelope to show appreciation for each cleaning service you receive, but can also be made through service applications if you paid with a credit card.
Have other ideas on how best to set up your cleaning service for success at your place? Please send us your ideas! Leave a comment below or email [email protected] to share your thoughts.